2 January 2019

Cashmere and Glue Sticks...



AKA why do I put myself through this planning headache?

 SWAP Fantasy: sewing the perfect and elusive mix and match wardrobe

 in just eleven garments. 


When I start the process of SWAP I always have this odd belief I will sew the perfect wardrobe in eleven garments, no waste, no fails. I imagine I will end up with a wardrobe that looks like this:

Look at all those pretty, neatly organized neutrals made of silk and velvet and organza and rayon hanging in a row...

And then reality strikes 

and I start laughing myself silly in the corner.  I know you are easing away right now, muttering about needing to be somewhere else.  Neutrals on that level make me itch.  Sewing should be a gleeful joy, a riot of fabric and fantasy of patterns. Bring on the colour, the chaos, the joy of print, the...

Time for a plan and a reality check, here. I have limited time and energy post concussion and I need to be able to use my time and energy wisely.

This year I have to at least start with a plan.


Planning SWAP will (hopefully) help prevent  me from sewing another wardrobe failure. '

I've sewn some pretty memorable SWAP fails over the years.  I learned from them even when they were infuriating and expensive learning experiences.  My previous wardrobe sewing fails can be summarized as:
  •  failure to sew what I really wear and need (aka sewing for my imaginary life, the evening dress wardrobe when I was a home maker with a two year old and a six year old)
  •  failure to think through how many basics I really needed to make (aka: black may be my basic but when did I decide to become goth?)
  •  failure to recognize what actually looks good on my body (the Lagenlook sack experiment)
  •  failure to recognize how the fabrics will work together as garments and when I will wear them (aka the memorable silk georgette and wool melton SWAP for high summer because the fabrics were perfect colour matches)  
There have been years my final wardrobe effort looked like this:

 I like colour but....why didn't I sew pants again?


And years it looked like this :
I look like an extra in a black and white film...

 

I also struggle with the intersection between reality and personal taste. 


I love, love, love the Eileen Fisher wardrobe concepts: perfect mix and match basics that work together to create one cohesive look.  She uses simple shapes, fabulous fabrics, ethical sourcing and creates some really great basics.  I lust after those fabulous fabrics: silk crepe, cashmere, organic stretch linen, organic stretch denim, silk organza....be still my beating heart.  Unfortunately for my champagne taste, my life style is beer budget wash and wear.  I spend my days on the run between classes, sitting on the floor with grade 1's period one and dancing with grade 8's period six and then jet-setting to choir or writing group in the evening.  I deal with glue and paint and little kid germs.  Anyone else see my dilemma?

Just picture it:

Cashmere and glue sticks...

Silk linen and paint splatters...

Perhaps not the best fabric choices for my everyday wardrobe.

I need to make an Every Day Wardrobe Plan, not a Fantasy Plan 

 

I need to put my energy into sewing clothing that fits my every day life.  The rules for SWAP 2019 are practical and flexible.  Two base colours, up to five contrasting fabrics, eleven garments. 

I will not be fitting six new patterns this year (what was I thinking last year?)  I don't have the energy for that level of new pattern chaos.  I have already fitted, good basics I sew over and over again (tank top, pull on pant, skirt) and adding a couple of new ones: a jean, a shirt and an jacket pattern. But even if I don't, I can make a good start with what I already know will fit me.

Fabrics may be an issue.  The resource center is really heavy on basics. Black basics abound. Grey is a pretty close second.  Winter white is represented, so is dark blue and denim.  But the icing pieces, the pretty prints that make my heart sing?  They are few and far between.



My head is full of colour choices and garment shapes, the intersecting jenga of choices and the reality of budgets.  

Planning will hopefully leave me with a cohesive wardrobe at the end of the experience. 



2 comments:

SewRuthie said...

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Boppingbeth (aka Beth or Elizabeth) said...

Thank you! Same to you!