4 January 2019

Imitating Eileen, take two. Inspiration



I finally decided to use this art piece.  I love the lines and the fractured look of it.  Even though I don't wear any of the yellows, many of the browns and greens are in my colour set.  I'm going for my standard colours: black, grey and cream base and adding in my usual colour accents: blue, rose and plum with a little dash of green.  (Yes, I know there are too many there at the moment; I expect I will do a Ruthie and sew more than I need and then mix and match to make it work).  I have lots of black basics but not so many grey or cream basics.  A review of the Resource Closet shows that I have lots of fabrics in my colours that are plain. 

I want to base my SWAP on Eileen Fischer's amazing basics concept but I need to make something that will fit both my wash and wear lifestyle and my 5'1" not so slender frame. A lot of the inspiration clothing photos for my SWAP are collected here on my Pintrest board. Eileen is known for flattering simple shapes with expensive lovely fabrics.  I spent most of last year getting the basics down in terms of patterns and fit but I didn't manage SWAP.

Her basic eight garments are tanks, tees, and pants in black and winter white along with denim.  A woven long layering tank, a cropped woven tank, a knit layering tank, a straight dress, a pair of pencil pants, a pair of cropped pants, a pair of denim pants and a pair of silk joggers.  She adds interesting twin sets, sweaters, shirts and layers to these basic eight garments  and all of it ends up mix and match (as long as you pick garments that flatter your basic shape).

Some inspiration photos:
Basic Black long tank, pencil pants and a layering sweater

Button shirt, layering tank in white and denim joggers.

I'm going to start with some variation of these outfits.

Pants:
Pull on knit pencil pants and the jobbers will be based on the Mama Can Do It Fit Pant Pattern which I have made about ten times since I purchased it. I own a pair of full legged pants with pockets already that I made before the rules came out.  I may add a pair of black or cream straight leg pants to this that can be rolled up and down.

Knit Tank Top: Free Spirit Tank top by P4P.  Again, I've made this one many time so it is a real basic for me--grey, cream, black

I am not sure about the shirt pattern yet.  I don't have a basic pattern so this is one I am going to have to fit. 

As well as those two outfits, I am going to add a basic black dress: either a sleeveless StyleArc Kim dress pattern, shortened to knee length in black rayon poly lycra or the ballet style dress in black with three quarter sleeves.  I am actually more likely to wear the second with pockets.

After that, we add colour. 

2 comments:

SewRuthie said...

It sounds like you have a framework which works for your lifestyle and approach to clothing so I am sure you can turn it in a SWAP.

Boppingbeth (aka Beth or Elizabeth) said...

I'm getting a lot closer. I think I am going to have to fit some patterns for wovens, particularly a button up shirt pattern and a woven soft outer layer. And jeans. I would wear dark denim jeans to work.